Sticking to a 2200 calorie diabetic diet plan while managing your diabetes is generally not that difficult. The main goal is to intake the proper amount and not be hungry at the end of the day. The best way to manage this type of diet is to take a look at the food pyramid.
- Have 4 – 6 small meals and snacks everyday.
- Keep the diabetic diet menu simple, and start by simply counting the calories of each food item you eat.
- Make healthy food selections which should include fruits, green vegetables, whole grain cereals, low fat diary products, low fat meats, fish and skinless poultry. More on list of foods for diabetics to eat.
- Avoiding foods that are high in calories and fat, like pastries, candies, bars, pies, etc.
- Plan the diet menu for next day in advance so that you’ll have enough fresh and low fat foods around.
2200 Calorie Diabetic Meal Plan
Sample Diet Plan #1 – 2202.45 Calories
12 ounces coffee-w/caffeine, 1.5 cup cottage cheese – 1% fat. 1 tbsp cream,fluid,half and half, 0.5 cup fruit cocktail (387.95 Calories)
1 apple-medium with peel, 1banana-medium 8 inch (186 Calories)
1 apple-medium with peel, 2 bread whole wheat-slice, 2 cubic inch cheddar cheese, 0.15 cup mayo, 3 ounce turkey breast/white meat (610 Calories)
2 bread-slice rye 7 grain, 4 tsp jelly-any fruit flavor, 2tbsp peanut butter (426 Calories)
4 ounce chicken breast/ white meat, 1.5 cup rice-white cook steamed, 4 tbsp Thousand island-reduced cal. Kraft, 0.25 cup croutons-plain, 1 small salad-sm. Garden w/tomato, onion (592.50 Calories)
Sample Diet Plan #2 – 2209 Calories
Bowl of oatmeal, 1 cup raspberries, 6 ounce glass of apple juice, 8 ounce cup of coffee (311 Calories)
1 medium apple, 2 tbsp peanut butter (264 Calories)
2 cups lettuce salad, 0.5 cup carrot, 0.5 cup cereal, 0.5 cup tomato, fat free dressing, 1 cup chicken, 1ounce almonds, 2 small bread sticks, 0.5 cup cottage cheese, 0.5 cup pineapple, 1 cup skim milk (634 Calories)
8 ounces fruit yogurt, 1 low fat granola bar (350 Calories)
3 ounces of salmon with 2 ounces yogurt/herb sauce, 2 cups lettuce, 0.5 cup green pepper, 1 ounce Cheddar cheese with fat free dressing, 1 cup steamed broccoli, 1 dinner roll, 1 cup skim milk, 1 medium chocolate chip cookie (650 Calories)
Drink enough fluids, i.e. two to three liters of water or juices to keep yourself hydrated while following this 2200 calorie diabetic diet plan. To round out nutritional needs and deficiencies, you can also start consuming high quality vitamin and mineral supplements with the diet. Make sure that along with this diet, you also follow a regular exercise program to get the best results and stay healthy in the long run.